This looks like fun. I’ll have a go at it.
1. Have you ever had surgery?
Yes. I had surgery for my TMJ problem 24 years ago, and 5 or 6 years ago I have surgery to correct a nasty tendon in my right wrist due to DeQuervain’s disease, which is a tightening and shortening of the covering of the tendon that goes from the thumb to the wrist. That was nothing; the doctor did it under local anathesia, but the TMJ was terrible. It fixed the problem but it was horrible.
2. Ever ride in an ambulance?
Yes. Sort of a funny story. I have terrible migraines and 16 years ago I had the worst migraine ever in Minneapolis when I was working there. The meeting had not gone well; my godfather had died suddenly that week; I was primed for a migraine. I was trying to catch my plane back to San Antonio and although I had taken a large amount of codeine with tylenol, found myself vomiting in the airport restroom and realizing there was no way I could get on an airplane, I was so sick. So I went to the ticket agent who called the airport paramedics, who in turn called the ambulance to take me to the local hospital. They took me out through the door that leads to the tarmack. So I got to ride in an ambulance (to the tune of $700, paid for my insurance) where they gave me oxygen and I kept vomiting. We went to the hospital where they gave me a shot of Imitrex (triptans had yet to come onto the market). Then the hospital arranged for me to go back to the hotel I had been staying at overnight until I could get a plane home the next morning. The hotel was great; they had had a similar situation and checked on me through the night. I still had a migraine the next day but was able to get on the plane, filled with Lutheran kids going to a conference in San Antonio, who were nice kids but pretty noisy.
3. How are you in a medical emergency? Panicked? Calm? I am usually calm through the immediate emergency, whether it be on for myself or someone else, but afterward I tend to fall apart, when everything is taken care of.
4. Do you have a garden? Flowers or veggies?
No garden. Hate gardening, especially vegetables. I live in a townhome in a row of 8 townhomes, and have no yard or garden or grass so it really is a moot question. If I did garden, I’d have flowers. Someday I’d like to raise roses as beautiful as the ones my grandmother raised. That would be quite a feat though because she was a tremendous gardener.
5. When did you move out of your parents house?The week after I graduated from university, when I got married. Of course, we moved in with his parents and brothers and sisters until around the next April, after we had bought a house right down the street from my in-laws. That was too close for comfort. They knew all our business and I wouldn’t recommend that anyone move that close to in-laws.
So those are the five questions for today. Hope the answers weren’t too long.