A Busy Weekend

I had a busy weekend. You can tell because I’m writing about this on Tuesday instead of Monday, because Monday was really busy too.

The granddaughters left on Saturday to fly to Las Vegas to stay for five days with their grandfather who lives about an hour outside Las Vegas. Then they’ll spend five days with their aunt and her family in Las Vegas before they fly to San Diego to spend time with their dad. Before they left, my daughter and the girls and I went to eat lunch at Red Lobster (their favorite place next to Denny’s). We had a pleasant lunch but they were fretting about flying. They aren’t scared; they just aren’t thrilled with it. I don’t really know anyone who is thrilled about the process you have to go through now to fly anywhere. But what are you going to do. You have to go places. So they ate very little while their mother and I enjoyed our meals.

Then we went to the airport and got them checked in, which wasn’t too bad, actually. We had to leave them at security since they are old enough to travel alone The TSA made Cassie take off her sweatshirt which she wears all the time. They had to take off their shoes as well; Jackie, unfortunately, had worn her high boots so that took some time. Eventually they got through security and were off to their gate. Grandpa was waiting for them when they got to Las Vegas even though they got in a little early. By 8:30 PDT they were at Grandpa’s house and ready to settle in for a few days. I’ve texted them each day and Cassie has replied that they are having fun. That’s good. They need a little vacation after going through finals week.

On Sunday, my daughter and I mad plans to go to the movies to see “Bridesmaids” and then go to lunch. She had a headache but we both really enjoyed the movie. But her headache was so bad when we left the movie tha we decided to forego lunch and she went home to take something for the headache since it was making her feel ill. Her husband has been sick, too, with a sinus infection. But he saw the doctor and is starting to feel better. We’ll fit our lunch in another time.

Yesterday was spent on CASA work. I went to Child Protective Services (CPS) to read the case files which took about 2 1/2 hours. Then in the afternoon I made a visit to one of the child in her foster home. She’s an infant so I had a nice chat with the foster mom and got most of my questions about the child and her mother answered. Today I am visiting the other child who is a toddler living with his grandmother. I have a lot more questions for her so it may be a longer visit. Tomorrow is a planning meeting at CPS where I’ll meet the parents and the lawyers. I look forward to that because I have a lot of unanswered questions and the caseworker has been out of town until today. I have a report to the court due by Saturday so if I get my questions answered, I can get my report in on time. I enjoy my CASA work; I feel like I’m really making a difference in children’s lives.

So that is the story of my busy weekend, including Monday; since I didn’t get to write about it earlier I just through in Monday, too. I hope the granddaughters continue to have fun with their relatives and enjoy their vacation. The rest of the summer they’ll be with their father and his second family and so settle into the family routine. All I know is that I miss them terribly and can’t wait until August when they come back.

About mairedubhtx

I am a "youngish" grandmother of 15 year old twin granddaughter who has recently (is a year "recent"?) adopted Islam as my way of life, much to the consternation of my family. I love to read. I love to write. I am writing a book about my decision to revert, about my spiritual journey. I have another blog about stories from my youth, my parents, and grandparents. It's a blog so my OCD daughter will not be able to throw it out when I die. I suffer from depression and anxiety, for which I am treated, so my posts may be a bit dark at times. C'est la vie.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to A Busy Weekend

  1. The Hook says:

    What a busy gal! Glad all went well.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s