1. What’s the best thing about growing older?
The best thing about growing old is that I have a sense of perspective. I don’t get as upset about things as I used to. I can see the “big picture” now and see the place of small things in the larger scope of things and thus don’t let little things upset me as much. Does that make sense?
2. When did you first feel like a grown up?
I first felt like a grown up when I brought my daughter home from the hospital as an infant and realized that she would always be there. That she was dependent on me for EVERYTHING. I was the grown up in the relationship.
3. Chocolate cake with white icing or white cake with chocolate icing?
I love chocolate and would prefer chocolate cake with chocolate icing, so I would go for the chocolate cake with the white icing.
4. What’s the nicest thing a stranger has ever done for you?
I was coming home from work one day on a country road and had a blow-out of a tire. I pulled over on the shoulder and tried to call my husband. No service. Then a airman from the nearby airbase on a motorcycle came by and stopped and helped my change the tire for the spare tire. He would accept no money and went on his way. I will always be grateful to him for stopping and helping me that night on the country road.
5. What’s something you learned from your grandparents?
From my grandfather, I learned a love of nature. He taught us to love and respect nature as we walked through the woods behind our house.
From my grandmother, I learned kindness and patience. She was the kindest and most patient person I know and I hope that I am like her now that I am her age.
6. Wednesday marks a sad day in the history of planet earth-9/11…what’s something you do (or can do) to bring peace to your little corner of the world?
I hope that I bring peace into my world by helping children through my work as a CASA Peer Coordinator. CASAs work with the family court to help abused and neglected children and I hope my work helps to bring a sense of peace to these little ones.
7. Share a favorite quote, scripture, or song containing the word peace.
“The peace of the Lord which passes all understanding, be with you and those you love from this day forward, ever more.”
8. Insert your own random thought here.
On September 11, we will always remember the tragic events that occurred in our country, We will never forget. But we will also not be mired in the past. We will remember and move on and remember the sacrifice of the men and women in the wars fought because of 9/11, too. So much suffering has happening because of this date. It’s time to remember and to move on now.